Courtesy of Karen Rauch
- 6 ounces turkey Italian sausage (about 2 links)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage and onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble. Add cabbage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.