Recipe courtesy of Charlotte Stark
5 sweet potatoes
3 large apples
Shortening, butter, or cooking spray to casserole dish
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce each of them several times with a fork. Put them on the cookie sheet and bake them on the center rack for about 1 hour, or until fork pierces them easily.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and set then aside to cool.
- Cut each apple into 4 sections. Remove the core from each section and cut off the skin. Then cut the apple sections into thin slices.
- Use the paring knife to pull the skins off the cooked sweet potatoes. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Use paper towels to grease the casserole dish with shortening or butter, or coat the dish with cooking spray.
- Use half of the sweet potato slices to cover the bottom of the casserole. Put half the apple slices on top of the potatoes.
- Use the rest of the sweet potatoes to make the next layer. Then add the rest of the apples on top.
- Cut the 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and place them on top of the apples. Pour the maple syrup over the top.
- Cover the casserole and bake the sweet potatoes and apples in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven.